[CAUT] Fortepiano stability

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Sat Nov 11 06:48:55 MST 2006

At 06:37 11/11/2006, you wrote:

>Hi all from Oz,
>
>I'm tuning 3 fortepianos for the Mozart triple piano concerto series
>this week and next, here in Sydney, for the leading baroque
>orchestra. Have just staggered home from Sat night after Friday
>night's first concert. Tuning stability was not good - and I am
>looking for any help from fellow CAUTs on techniques to nail tunings
>that will last more than one movement. I have about 2 hours
>pre-concert for tuning - 40 mins each. I'm hitting hard, and the 3
>are becoming more obedient, but the arrival of 1.500 audience seems
>to unsettle them! Unison and octave drift. Any advice from
>fortepiano gurus out there?
>
>Thanks,
>Geoff Pollard
>Sydney Conservatorium of Music
>University of Sydney

Geoff,

Trying to get Overs Piano type tuning stability on a harpsichord or
fortepiano is like trying to nail Jell-O to a wall. The only way to
get the best stability is to have the beasties on-stage in the hall
as long as possible, lights on, unmoved, and somehow keep
temp/humidity constant during the performance.

It sounds like _you're_ doing most everything right (as I would
expect ;-) except, as Marcel notes, hard blows don't necessarily add
to stability.  I tend to think "guitar" when tuning... a little
tugging on the string may help, but more is not always
better.  Methinks the ambient conditions are conspiring against you.

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.