[CAUT] tight balancier

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri Nov 10 12:44:00 MST 2006

David writes:
<< The ability of the hammers to be held in
check is affected by:
<SINP>
jack position at rest - too far forward will leave jack too close to
knuckle after let-off, either allowing descending knuckle to bound on
jack top, or the back radius of the knuckle will rub or otherwise
push jack out of the way, stealing energy from the descending hammer
that might prevent it from overcoming rep spring.>>

I don't know that I understand this.  I believe that the jack position at
rest, if moved farther under the knuckle, will simply cause the jack to begin
moving earlier in the keystroke, (for a given let-off).  Once the jack is off the
spoon, it doesn't matter where it started.
    It is helpful to place the action in check, then adjust the capstan so
that the jack is equidistant between the knuckle and the stop pad.  This is your
optimum blow distance for that particular let-off and dip.  Changing the
beginning jack position won't have any effect on this.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT