[CAUT] Key Bushing Removal

Wigent, Donald E WIGENTD at ECU.EDU
Wed Nov 8 07:34:15 MST 2006

Don Wigent hear:

Last night at our guild meeting we were discussing key work, and the
subject of bushing removal came up and one of the guys (Calvin Brown)
told us that he had made a tool for bushing removal by drilling holes in
a bushing caul and inserting a tube   from a tea kettle to carry steam
directly in to the bushing by means of holes drilled so as to let steam
in to the upper part of the caul.  That way you don't have to saturate
the entire key. I think that this has been dun be for, has any one dun
this. I bet you have Susan

Don Wigent

E C U

________________________________

From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Susan Kline
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 12:45 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Key Bushing Removal

At 03:32 PM 11/7/2006, Barbara wrote:

Eventually I again hauled out the steam set up.  Maybe they came out
because they had had a "pre-soak."

I think that the pre-soak works very well. I've come to the same result
from a different direction. I pre-soak, sometimes twice, take out what
will come out, and if they are really stubborn THEN I reach for a damp
cloth and an iron to steam them out. I don't like cooking wood unless I
have to. If there are pulley keys, I'll steam, knowing that it'll shrink
the oversized holes - but if the balance rail holes are snug, I'll try
to avoid steaming, so I don't have to resize them all later.

Susan