[CAUT] RE : key bushings

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon Nov 6 13:01:00 MST 2006

On Nov 6, 2006, at 11:36 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Just the cheap disposable craft brushes, a couple of mm in
> diameter, a couple of dozen in a package. Most are plastic handles
> now, but you can still find them with natural bristles and metal
> ferrels.

I get them at Harbor Freight (we are fortunate to have one here).
They are available in packs of 36, with metal handles and with either
plastic or hair bristles.  Here are the plastic ones (which work just
fine for gluing):

  http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?
itemid=41338&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

Catch em on sale from time to time for about $3, I think.  The 1/2"
size is about the width of the cloth, but the bristles are too long
for rebushing work, so I trim them and I think I've even thinned out
the bristles some.  They are also available in a packet of assorted
sizes.  I've also seen them, with shorter handles, hanging on the end
of an aisle at Hobby Lobby.  I tend to put the glue directly on the
cloth only when I have one or two to repair.  (for that I use the
wooden coffee stirrers I find around various and sundry coffee makers
in offices here at the school -- not $tarbuck$) For a full set, that
gets messy.  I hate messy.

I agree with whoever said there isn't a "best" method.  Just one that
works for you.  I have read the Spurlock method, but must admit, I've
not used his bushing cauls.  The method though, is basically the same
as the old fashioned or traditional way, with a "twist".  You still
have to gauge the depth in the hole and feel confident that
regardless of how tightly you hold the cloth, the caul isn't pulling
it too deep or that you've left it too shallow.  I've tried removing
the caul to check and see, but that always winds up back at start
over except that the second time is more messy and you've probably
now gotten glue on the wrong side of the cloth so you cut it off and
do it all over again.

I use the Spurlock sizing cauls, which I think are essential, and
then Bushmaster with brass cauls.  I don't do rebushing often enough
to remember what tricks I developed last time, so the Bushmaster
makes it more simple and consistent for me.  I'm more confident of
the depth in the mortise with Bushmaster, but can't imagine how one
could put the glue directly on the cloth without keeping the
Bushmaster tool clogged up with glue and getting glue on the wrong
side of the bushing cloth all the time.  Also, I don't like trimming
the cloth until the glue is dry for the same reason, so one more
reason I like the Bushmaster.  And yes, you definitely reduce waste
by doing sharps separately.  You can also reuse the waste from
between the natural heads in either the sharps or balance mortise,
but there is more waste than with traditional style methods.

I have given hide glue an honest effort but find it way too difficult
to control the application and it gets messy for me.  If I did it
more regularly, I might change my mind.  I just use basic Elmer's
white glue.  It's cheap, easy to work with, it sticks, and it removes
easily with steam.  I remove bushings with the electric bushing
remover and water in a hypo oiler.  Presoak with wallpaper remover
solution if they're stubborn.

All that said, I'm probably looking at doing a bunch of rebushing
jobs over the next couple years, so we'll see what further develops.

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina