[CAUT] Pianos for piano performance majors

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Mar 31 05:58:42 MST 2006

At 06:25 AM 3/31/2006 -0600, you wrote:
>Robin:
>
>I think we would have great latitude in the choice of instruments but
>frankly the U118 has never been my favorite instrument either.  When I
>think of the "All Steinway" designation the feeling I get is a confined,
>cramped one.  I couldn't even fantasize about a Shigeru Kawai EX or some
>piano that another manufacturer introduces next year because we'd be
>contractually obligated to only the instruments of one manufacturer.  I
>can't think of a reason to limit our options like that.  I might be a
>little dull, but I can't figure out what we'd gain for giving away all
>those options.
>
>dp
>
>David M. Porritt

I think our philosophy must be to make the students adaptable. They have a
choice of Baldwin SD6, SD10, SF10, L and R / Steinway B, L, O, M / Yamaha
C7, C3, G2 / Young Chang G157, G175, G185 / M&H A / 1889 Chickering w/Brown
action and, if they get to accompany in voice studios / Mehlin  and CF
Stein.  Steinway D's (H & NYC) are on stage and, if I ever get enough time
to finish rebuilding it, Krakauer.

1876 Haines square by _very_ special request.

Conrad Hoffsommer

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.