[CAUT] Hammer Alignment

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Thu Mar 30 09:01:09 MST 2006

Wally Brooks suggests swiping both sides of the shank with a bit of moisture
after heating/twisting.

I like the idea (restoring moisture content evenly on both sides), as wood
accepting moisture unevenly is apparently what causes twisting in the first
place.

And yes, if it's twisted more than a couple degrees, remove and reglue the
hammer.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org]On Behalf Of Jim
Busby
  Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 8:39 AM
  To: College and University Technicians
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Hammer Alignment

  Wim,

  I saw them burning shanks at Steinway. The explanation was that the shank
is sugar maple and heat makes the “sugar” somewhat liquefied for a moment
and then quickly cools into the new twist. I’ve been doing this for years
w/o problems. It’s permanent. However, if you have too much to twist I could
see removing the hammer, etc.

  Just my two bits.

  Jim Busby BYU