[CAUT] Hammer wear

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Thu Mar 30 08:53:49 MST 2006

We have a set of Wurzens on a Reduced size keyboard for a NY D in a
recital hall.  The top octave was mildly doped when we got the action.
I've like the sound very much but the professor who teaches the
reduced-action students wanted it brighter.  Over Spring Break I lightly
doped all of them with acetone/keytop mixture and they are nice now.

On the practice room pianos, I hung them and did nothing else.  Those
pianos are too loud in the practice rooms regardless.  They have a nice
sound but in a large hall you'd want a little more.  Of the 7 newer
Steinways that still have NY hammers; none is in a large enough room to
want more sound.  I did tune the very newest one yesterday and while it
is loud enough for the small room, the tone is pretty dull and
uninteresting.  There is mellow and warm and then there's dull.  I don't
like dull, but then some do!

dp

David M. Porritt

dporritt at smu.edu