[CAUT] Hammer Alignment

Jerry Cohen emailforjc at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 26 13:54:08 MST 2006

Jon,

I have found the same thing on many brand new European pianos, especially if
they have been stored (Keyboard Carriage) for a year or 2 before being
delivered to the dealer. I thought the hammer shifting was caused by the
piano being stored on its side for a long time. I have also found no
shifting in the bass section, and this has always been a mystery to me,
since those hammers are heavier.

I never thought about the shank twisting, rather than the flange shifting. I
have a customer with a new Schimmel with misaligned hammers that I must take
care of soon, so I'll check if it is shifting or twisting problem.

One more mystery. I have never seen this problem develop after a piano has
been delivered. In other words, if the alignment was good upon delivery, it
stays good several years later.

I'll report what I find on the Schimmel.

Jerry Cohen, RPT
New Jersey Chapter