[CAUT] Adams 1/4 tone sharp piano

william ballard wbps at vermontel.net
Fri Mar 24 07:07:59 MST 2006

On Mar 23, 2006, at 11:12 PM, reggaepass at aol.com wrote:
> P. S. Even if the small wrapped strings don't break at +50 cents,
> do you think they could undergo some irreversible distortion
> capable of leaving them sounding less good than prior to being
> tensioned so highly once they are returned to "standard" pitch?

I'm not sure of the elongation in the core wire caused by such a
pitch raise, but if there was anything about the swaging and how the
warp was bound to it that might cause an equal elongation of the
"coil of wrap", the pitch raise might give such bass strings a
significant push in the direction of loose windings. Not immediately,
but maybe after a couple of weeks of hammering. Such elongation would
be proportional to the over-all length of the piano.

Just an uneducated guess.

william ballard
wbps at vermontel.net

"I gotta go ta woik...."
     ...........Ian Shoales, DuckÕs Breath Mystery Theater