[CAUT] Adams 1/4 tone sharp piano

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Thu Mar 23 15:00:43 MST 2006

< and how many truly serious prepared piano composers and performers
are there out there?

 <Yea, I know - reality.

 <Ron N

 Hi Ron,

  Fortunately, there are many more pianists who do prepared piano and
other non-traditional techniques which can be done without harming the
instrument (if done properly) than there are pianists/composers who
want PLUS 50 cents. From a service perspective, it all an indulgence.
But, FWIW, here at CalArts you can't get a degree in piano without
"climbing inside of it" (as it were) at some point. So the issue here
is not IF non-traditional things are going to happen but how.

  If something IS going to be off limits, I have to be able to back up
the restriction with hard facts. I for one do not want to take even the
slightest risk of a plate giving up the ghost in my face. Is plate
damage the greatest risk involved in this +50 scenario? Nothing
irreversible (or even short term) happens to the strings or other
components? Does anyone out there know who John Adams' piano technician
is? It seems they are past due for a little chat...

 Alan Eder, RPT