[CAUT] Adams 1/4 tone sharp piano

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Thu Mar 23 14:05:04 MST 2006

On Mar 23, 2006, at 12:52 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>> Anybody calculated what the new tension would be on that piano?
>> Jeff
>>

> Somewhere around 2200 lbs higher than original.
> Ron N

Interesting.  I would have thought much higher.  Would certainly
think that pushing the elasticity of the wire to that extent, if it
survives, would do permanent damage to tone/sustain, and completely
ruin a set of bass strings.  But, alas, I'm a piano tech, not a
physicist (or a composer).

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina