[CAUT] Old Chickerings

Kent Webb kw88keys at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 20 16:41:53 MST 2006

Hello All,

I happened to catch this thread and let me add
something I sometimes touch on in classes.

We as technicians must be very careful about the
criteria by which we judge or recommend pianos. It is
not based on the ease of service but on the ability of
the piano to perform music.

If a piano is more difficult to service we should
certainly charge accordingly. The benefits to the
pianist are worth it and the extra time and expertise
justify the costlier service. For comparison sake, I
feel sure that comparable work on a Ferrari costs more
than on a Chevy due to the parts and expertise
required but, knowing a few Ferrari owners, I never
hear them complain about the costs of service. They
just want the best performance possible and realize
that is what it takes to achieve this.

Kent Webb

--- Delwin D Fandrich <fandrich at pianobuilders.com>