[CAUT] Water Damage to Practice Room U1s

william ballard wbps at vermontel.net
Thu Mar 16 15:51:05 MST 2006

On Mar 16, 2006, at 12:51 PM, Wimblees at aol.com wrote:
> About 20 years ago I bought a U1 that fell off a truck. It needed
> several case parts. Not only did those parts cost nearly three
> times as much as comparable parts from Baldwin and Steinway, it
> took 6 months to get them. The main reason, I was told, was that
> they did not have them in stock, and the parts had to be special
> made at the factory in Japan.

I'd expect that for large case panels.

> Maybe that is why the bass strings are so much more. They are
> special order, from Japan. Did they tell you how long it would take
> to get them?

No mention of a back order on the strings. I was enquiring about bass
strings and damper felts (w. barrels) for both U1s, and the only
thing not in stock was a 2d damper head set. I'd actually expect
Yamaha USA to keep up an inventory of bass string sets.

Let's not forget that ten years ago, one could get shanks&hammers
("pre-hangs") for ~$350, which was roughly 40% less than Steinway's
price for pre-hangs.

william ballard
wbps at vermontel.net

"Lydia thinks she knows everything, and Lyle thinks he owns the place"
     ...........The outgoing staff technician to the new guy,
concerning the resident artiste/pianist and the Chief Custodian