[CAUT] Water Damage to Practice Room U1s

william ballard wbps at vermontel.net
Thu Mar 16 08:55:08 MST 2006

One curious detail came up during the estimating of repairs on these
two sprinkled-on U1s. I was quoted by Yamaha $511 per set of
replacement bass strings. (I made a quick call to the local Yamaha
dealer who said that sounded right.)

This 52-string set duplicated by Mapes would be $223. Steinway's
replacement set for either 1098 or K52 is $167. I know that with
Yahama strings the lengths are so well-calculated that they can go
right on the tuning pin with no trimming to length, and presumably
their accuracy for a scale of their own should be far above anyone
else's copy of this set. BUT....what else am I getting for the extra
$300-350?

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

wbps at vermontel.net
098783  EA   Hamburg Tuning Pins 4/0  2-1/2.......$72.00
T5591600  1PC  Key Flame Guide
     ...........My two favorite catalog items (Steinway 4/96, and Yamaha
         respectively)