[CAUT] Tipping Casters

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Mar 11 06:19:24 MST 2006

No, this isn't about the appropriate percentage for a gratuity.

A recently rebuilt Bechstein. New unitized caster/ferrule.

I removed the unit and found multiple wraps of masking tape
and pieces of veneer. However these 'shims' did not support
the ferrule as you can see in the photo because of the degree
of off-set to the caster.

There is a hollow in the end of the tenon, so I suspect that the
original configuration was a caster with a post and a separate
ferrule.

Would I be better off searching for the two-piece set replacement?
Or use Marine-Tex epoxy to 'fit' the tenon to the ferrule and plug
the old post hole to secure with longer screws.
--

Regards,

Jon Page