[CAUT] Rebuilding Value

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Fri Mar 10 07:57:33 MST 2006

In a message dated 3/9/2006 6:26:04 PM Central Standard Time,
kswafford at earthlink.net writes:

I have  been contacted with regard to the following  matter:

http://tinyurl.com/n6rzu

The Steinway in question is a  Model O.

I was asked for a statement concerning the viability of  rebuilding.

Are you being asked as an independent piano technician, or as the president
of the PTG?

I agree with Chris that as President, this is not something with which the
PTG should get involved.

If, on the other hand, you are being asked as an independent technician,  you
should use your own judgment. You will find technicians on this list that
will favor using replacement parts other than Steinway, and using "genuine
Steinway replacement parts." And you will find some who think having a private
rebuilder do the job will be better than having Steinway do it.

When it comes to working for a school system, it is best to get a feel for
which direction they want to go, and follow their lead. School Board members,
in  general, do not like to be second guessed. If they think having Steinway do
the  work will be the better thing to do, they will be much more receptive to
 having the piano restored. If they need to be "convinced," that a local
technician can do the work, even it is for less money, and even if the local
technician can do the work better, they will be on the lookout for the slightest
mistake.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Wim