[CAUT] Ted Sambell / Glenn Gould

Scott E Thile scott.thile at murraystate.edu
Thu Mar 9 10:00:30 MST 2006

Mark, Thanks so much for this information from Ted. It is priceless!

One interesting note-- We have CD319 here at Murray State. It is one of the
finest Ds I've worked on. Among it's many charms it has a Kluge made ivory
keyboard. Most everyone who has played it loves this piano, and so do I.

Thankfully I have not noticed that CD319 has the abrupt let off Ted mentions
was the case with Gould's famous CD318. Ours is completely original, at
least in terms of action parts and touch weight. It has a nice light feel to
it, weighing in at just shy of 50 grams in the midsection. It is also very
expressive and even.

Right now this piano in desperate need of restringing the top two sections
and is getting close to needing hammers and S&F, otherwise it's an amazing
instrument. Hopefully I can attend to at least the partial restringing this
summer.

Thanks again for the inside scoop Mark. I will treasure this information,
and I have several pianist friends that will be completely fascinated with
it!

Scott

Scott E. Thile
Piano-Instrument Tech
Dept. of Music, Murray State University
504 Fine Arts Building, Murray, KY 42071
http://campus.murraystate.edu/staff/scott.thile/index.html
mailto:scott.thile at murraystate.edu
My Faith:
http://campus.murraystate.edu/staff/scott.thile/Christian/index.html