[CAUT] pitch rise

Richard West rwest1 at unl.edu
Thu Mar 9 08:44:55 MST 2006

With the discussion of unison drift, I have a question which may be
related.  What is the cause for pitch rise while tuning?  I can
understand why the pitch might fall, especially if there's a significant
pitch change.  But I'm not talking about a radical pitch alteration.

Here's the scenario.  I'm working on a newer or rebuilt piano with tight
pins and still relatively stretchy strings.  I'm trying to stabilize the
instrument, but it's being stubborn.  I'm having to be more aggressive
with my tuning technique, i.e., in order to settle the pitch I have to
first pull the string higher than I like in order to move the tight pin
and then allow the stretchy string to settle back to the pitch I want.
As I move up the piano, the pitch  behind me tends to creep higher,
sometimes to the point I have to retune the note below.  I'm not a
pounder, so I don't think that I'm beating the piano too hard.  I'm not
trying to pitch raise/lower the piano, just give it a good solid tuning.

What can I do to prevent this "phenomenon?"  Does anyone else experience
this?  What is the cause?

Richard West