[CAUT] capsizing / catstrophic action failure

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Mar 7 18:24:29 MST 2006

Hi Ric,
    I'm not really making any strong claims one way or another. Simply
observing that experience often contradicts "wisdom." I know we've all
probably heard that more DB = stronger attack, less sustain. Less DB = less
attack, more sustain. It makes sense in terms of physics, at least I believe
it does.
    But going out in the field and measuring pianos is a different kettle of
fish. I listen to the piano, come to a conclusion about its tonal output.
Now I measure. I often don't find what I have been led to expect. I often
enough find the opposite. Cognitive dissonance, I think is the appropriate
word. People can be pretty suggestible, and hear what they expect. Which is
why I try to listen first, then measure.
    I do realize that measuring a strung piano at pitch doesn't tell the
whole story. Problem is, that's all most of us have in front of us to
measure. At any rate, I intended no particular strong point of view. I was
just trying to state what I have observed, which doesn't always coincide
with accepted wisdom. Pianos are pretty complex creatures, I think <g>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico