[CAUT] Fwd: [Experts] Voicing of high bass on Steinway L

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Tue Mar 7 11:41:16 MST 2006

I got this from a customer on the "ask the experts" list. Anyone have some
advice I can pass on.

Wim

I know  the Steinway L\'s high bass section is notorious for being
problematic, but I  am looking for advice from someone who has had success in getting an
excellent  transition from the B to the Bb - i.e. retaining the \"buzz\" from
the C28 and  B27 through to the Bb26 and A25 and minimising the sound that
makes it  painfully obvious they are short bass strings.

Just today I heard an  old Steinway L that had the *exact* the tone I was
looking for: the highest  notes matched the low tenor extremely well, I was very
surprised in fact. A  full tone with some (good) buzz. I\'m fairly certain
they were original  strings.

So, I\'m assuming there must be someone out there who knows  what I\'m
talking about and has some advice for voicing the hammer to get this  tone (as best
as possible, at  least).