[CAUT] The Well-Prepared Piano

Charles K. Ball ckball at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 7 07:19:36 MST 2006

Dear Fred,

The photo copy arrived on Friday and I appreciate it very much.

I flew out to El Paso last week to take a look at the El Paso
Symphony Orchestra's piano.  It is a 1985 Steinway D that stands
desperately in need of action and damper work.  I think that
potentially it is a good instrument.  It has an ivory Kluge keyboard
and was from the brief period when S&S was using Renner shanks and
reps in its B's and D's.  I think that it might have a Renner
backaction as well.

Apparently they had just started using Guy Nichols to do their prep.
Do you know any other techs in that area who are capable of high
level concert work?  Their board may decide to purchase a new piano
or to rebuild the present one, or both, but whichever option they
choose, they will need a good technician to maintain the piano.  Is
that too far for you to travel?

Best regards,
Charles
--