[CAUT] IRe: Unison drift (was Reading low humidity/seasonal SB failure)

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Mar 6 21:48:22 MST 2006

Dorrie, I'll be interested to see what Fred says, but I've
noticed similar patterns after very sudden large humidity shifts.
For instance, we had a dry sunny week, with frost in the days as
well as the nights (not usual for us in the wintertime in Oregon),
and then all of a sudden we got a warm wet front through (much
more typical.) Unisons, especially on new or newly strung pianos
went all over the place in the midrange to the high treble -- not so
bad in the top octave. While I didn't think to diagnose the exact
shifts, what I saw may have followed Fred's pattern.

The only difference I can see between the three strings is the
placement of the bridge pins (nearness to front edge) and the differences
in the backlengths. As a totally uneducated guess, I'd choose the backlengths
as the culprit, especially in the capo sections.

Does anyone know about this, instead of just speculating?

Susan Kline
Linfield College,
McMinnville, OR