[CAUT] Loose Soundboards

James Ellis claviers at nxs.net
Sat Mar 4 08:33:04 MST 2006

Several messages ago, someone talked about a piano lacking in power and
sustain, possibly due to a soundboard that was loose at the rim.  Years
ago, I made myself a little wooden mallet from a piece of 3/4 inch dowel
loaded with key leads, padded on each end with felt and leather, with a 3/8
inch dowel for a handle.  The padding on one end is thin and stiff, but
that on the other end is thick and soft.  If I suspect that a soundboard is
loose at the rim, or has a loose rib, I crawl under the piano, and thump on
the board with the mallet, working my way around the edges and along the
ribs.  If there is a loose spot, it will rattle.  Sometimes the end with
the thin padding works best to find the rattle, but at other times, the
soft padded end works best.  This works so much better than banging on a
buzzing note, and trying to find the trouble spot.  If the mallet thumping
and presssing on the board at different places finds no rattles, I look for
something else that may be causing a buzzing note.  It's such a simple
test, and it works so well.  In fact, I made two of these things.  The
heavier one weighs about 1/4 pound.

Jim Ellis