[CAUT] keytops

Stan Kroeker smkroeker@shaw.ca
Fri Mar 3 19:48:56 MST 2006

David,

At the request of a local jazz artist whose Steinway 'D' had the keys
recovered with the 'generic' tops most of us use, I re-recovered them
recently with the German tops from Pianotek.  This artist was
convinced that there was a difference in the 'feel' of the generic
replacements and genuine (Kluge?)  Steinway tops.

Although I was unconvinced (plastic is plastic?)  the new german tops
really did feel different.  Seems to be a harder acrylic.  Whereas
the generic tops seem to scratch quickly (they're often scuffed right
out of the package), the german ones polished beautifully and were
much more resistant to abrasion.

Best regards to all,

Stan Kroeker
Registered Piano Technician