[CAUT] Undercover, hooks and grommets/eyelets

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jun 13 12:26:22 MDT 2006

Hi all,
	I thought I'd send photos of the other details, following up on my
earlier photos of an installed undercover.
1) Tools and supplies: rotating leather punch, 1/8" eyelets, eyelet
crimping pliers.
2) Basic technique begins with punching a hole with the leather punch
3) Insert uncrimped eyelet
4) Crimp the eyelet
5) A look at the finished product.
	This goes quite fast. Starting in the bass corner, make a "corner
fold" of the fabric (ending up with four thicknesses of fabric here),
punch and insert eyelet corresponding to where your corner hook is,
install the eyelet on the hook. Then stretch the fabric to the next
hook, hold it folded between thumb and finger at that hook (your
thumb and finger serve to mark/position where you are going to put
the next eyelet), bring the fabric to where you can conveniently work
on it and punch and crimp with the other hand, place on hook. On to
the next.
	I go down the spine to where it starts to curve, then pull across
the keybed to the treble corner, then fill in the rest. Fabric is cut
according to the lid (as in Dampp-chaser instructions). It is best to
cheat the whole piece of fabric toward the keybed and the treble
side, to account for stretching around curves and obstacles. I hope
this is useful for some of you.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico