[CAUT] [Files] Banff Centre FYI (OT)

Kent Swafford kswafford at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 12 18:38:58 MDT 2006

The Banff Centre for the Arts is kind of a unique place, and has
played a
beneficial role in the development of many CAUT's over the years.

So I thought I might share a bit of background and some photos with the
list, if that's alright...and /or until the webmaster shuts me down.

The Music & Sound Program at the Banff Centre is decades old, and a
world-class self-directed professional development destination for
musicians
and audio technicians from all continents. (well at least six of them
from
my count last week.)

The current piano shop has been directed by several of our colleagues,
including Otto Keyes, Ted Sambell, Denis Brassard and now Albert
Picknell,
as resident technicians.

There are currently 102 pianos on site, supporting music & sound, opera,
ballet and other programs. Standards are very high, and the demands are
unique, for at least two reasons:

1.) Every performance is recorded, everytime, all the time. This affords
excellent training for work-studies in the audio program, but
requires daily
attention for the pianos at a number of venues.

2.) A program of high level pianists can require 40 or more pianos
all at
rehearsal level condition for up to a six week period... and then
they're
gone.

And here's a third:

3.) For some reason, we insist on providing individual rehearsal
spaces out
in the woods in heated huts for some of our program participants (See
photos), all year long, (I've witnessed 40 below there in January!)

FYI, here are some photos of the location. The Music & Sound Building
sits
on the Banff Centre campus looking west over the Banff townsite from
Tunnel
Mountain.

West, just across the Bow River is the famous Banff Springs Hotel, and
Sulphur Mountain, source of the hot springs, and location of the scenic
gondola. On the East side of Tunnel Mountain is the Banff Springs golf
course.

Anyone who has attended a PTG event in Banff will understand how the
beautiful setting really enhances the artisitic and creative process. As
piano technicians, we are creative and artistic in our own right,
aren't we?
It's healthy to have some natural influence in our workplace, even if
it's
just a regulating bench by the window, with NPR playing in the
background.

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

Photos at: