[CAUT] various tool suppliers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jun 9 12:44:50 MDT 2006

On Jun 8, 2006, at 8:15 PM, Debra Feiger wrote:

> I'm trying to find vendors for a few items if anyone
> can help me find out who sells:
>
> magnetic let-off strips,
> good sharp scissors to cut felt,
mustache scissors, cosmetic section of drug store or whatever. Or go
to your local fabric store and check out their selection. Or you can
spend $100 and up at a gourmet knife and scissors emporium <G>.
> a tilter for upright pianos,
Schaff's is fine. I bought one for the U from them about 2 - 3 years
ago. Don't know what else is available.
> the best quality bushing cloth/felt (is Schaff's as
> good as Renner's and Pianotec'?),
Probably quality is the same (probably both from Hainesworth (?sp?),
as Charles House is gone). I buy from Pianotek as the selection is or
has been better than anyone else's (they used to carry both Charles
House and Hainesworth, in several thicknesses. They might still have
some Charles House in stock. I use BU-6, 7, 8, 9. I find selection of
thickness critical to a good job, so I want multiple thicknesses on
hand to choose from.
> sandpaper (is 3M garnett the best and can you buy it
> already backed (for hammer filing)?
Garnet is the best natural material. There are several synthetics
that work quite well. I find aluminum oxide quite workable for most
purposes. To glue it to a paddle, use double-sided carpet tape (tip
courtesy of Eric. I guess he forgot to tell you <g>). Me, I'm a strip
sander, and use individual hammer sized strips for all my coarse
hammer filing, backed with scotch tape for strength and smoothness.
Wider strips to "shoe-shine" the crowns in fine grits. I find I can
get better control that way, though it does take practice to get the
needed skill.
>   Also Eric
> Schandal recommends C and not D weight. Comments?
I dunno. You'll have to ask him why.

> thanks everybody
> Debra

Regards,