[CAUT] Key End Lifter Felt

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Thu Jun 8 15:36:47 MDT 2006

I also glue a section at a time. I don't clamp the keys together, but I
push them tightly together before applying the felt. This allows me to
easily pass the knife between the keys later when I slice them apart. I
align each section fore & aft with straightedges - those ever-handy
Renner shank spacing slats - and clamp the felt to the keys with spring
clamps. I use more of the slats top & bottom as Jon said. Using hot hide
and applying it mostly to the felt I have never had any glue run over
the sides nor have I had any come loose so I guess I'm using about the
right amount ;-)
After allowing the glue to set I slice them apart with this long X-Acto
blade:
http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/X-ACTO-blade-no-26/BDM58

which leaves little or no trimming except on the end keys of each
section.

- Mark Dierauf