[CAUT] Undercover - hooks and grommets

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jun 6 14:47:17 MDT 2006

Hi Mark,
	I can hear the end of the trickling sound okay, but I like to "push
the envelope" and add another half a liter or so beyond, to take care
of the last day of those two weeks between fillings during dry
periods. Me, I have no help and have to fill the darned things
myself. Once every two weeks I can handle.
	It's a matter of learning how much water to add beyond the point
where the sound diminishes to nothing, and the precise timing of the
end of the trickle noise. Of course, this depends on the end of the
tube (its setting in relationship to the top/bottom of the tank)
being consistent from piano to piano. I overfilled precisely two
times (we have hard water, so it left plenty of evidence in the form
of minerals). Fine enough for me, but if you are training student
help, you'll want something more concrete.
	There are plenty of possibilities, including installing one of those
beepers at just the right level (probes set at just below the target
water level), with a switch in its cord. Turn the switch on so it is
beeping when you start to fill, then stop adding water when it stops
beeping. And remember to switch it off now, to avoid annoying the
sensitive ears of the piano prof between services <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu