[CAUT] Piano Techs as Piano Movers?

Chris Solliday solliday at ptd.net
Fri Jun 2 21:07:12 MDT 2006

Brian,

The cost of outside movers should be weighed against the cost of acquiring the proper equipment (considerable), the training (special) and willingness of the technician crew, and the increased insurance cost. Saving an institution money should never be done at the expense of safe quality work, as in having ten big guys from plant operations pancake a BB Mason onto a four wheeler with the legs and lyre still attached (I once walked in on just such a scene) or four professional furniture movers trying to slide a 9 ft Steinway up a stage front edge on the spine bottom edge and wiping out most of the trapwork in the process or... I could go on and I do digress.

 Be sure and get ALL the equipment and training you could ever possibly need so that no piano or technician is EVER in any danger. Too often we assume (always dangerous), as your administrator seems to be doing, that because you are good tuners, tone and touch regulators, rebuilders, etc that we must be able to move pianos. There is good reason that piano moving is SO OFTEN a separate business. If your staff, led by an administrator who will properly fund all this, wants to ADD this serious skill set to their repertoire, by all means have at it, but beware the surprise game of     "You Catch It You Keep It"     "...pick me I'm the turnip..." "there's a man dressed as some sort of radish trying to get under a BB Mason & Hamlin,   4 stories is a long way to... it looks like he's got it,   but, oh my God..., that's all the time we have for this week's show, but tune in again nex..."

Seriously it's usually cheaper to hire the outside guys especially if you haven't been doing this all along.

Best of luck to you,
Chris Solliday