[CAUT] tension gauges

william ballard wbps at vermontel.net
Fri Jul 28 22:51:59 MDT 2006

On Jul 28, 2006, at 10:54 PM, David Skolnik wrote:
> Not to belabor the point, but David Ilvedson's question I think
> asked whether the Neuses was as accurate as the Correx.  Do you
> have any direct experience with both tools that could address that
> point?

I bought my Neuses out of the Jensen Tools & Alloys catalog sometime
around 1980, in their catalog as a means for adjusting relay springs.
(I got the two other sizes, 50-0-50 and 0-150g.) One of the first
things I did was to take it over to the Life Sciences building at
Dartmouth College where my father taught for decades. He set me up
with a gram scale with an optically magnified scale which read, as I
remember, in 0.01 gram increments.

I had the Neuses attached to a post so that I could concentrate on
keeping the spring level on the scale platen as I applied more force,
so that I didn't have to worry about holding it.

At each of the one gram increments, it was within a few 0.01"s,
accurate enough for me. That did require eyeballing the spring leaf
at dead level with the marks on the Neuses scale body. Necessary, but
not especially difficult.

On Jul 28, 2006, at 2:11 PM, David Skolnik wrote:
> If the Correx could read fractions of a gram, with a digital
> readout, it would shoot to the top region of my list of "to gets" .

I don't know what resolution (size of increments) you need within 1g,
but I've had no problem dividing the space between 1g marks into 4 or
even 5 parts. I'm happy being able to measure to the nearest 0.2g.

mrbl
wbps at vermontel.net

Pray For Peace