[CAUT] "phing....pck.....pluug"

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jul 26 18:24:12 MDT 2006

    One other thing along the lines of this subject (before I have beaten it
to death <G>): It is my considered opinion that a large portion, probably
the majority, of objectionable front duplex noise - zings, sizzles, etc -
comes from inadequately mated strings. I believe the rest comes from bad
termination issues. The front duplex design initiated by Steinway (and
copied by others) does amplify these problems (open strings and bad
terminations), but I have found that when I have taken care to have good
termination and excellent mating, objectionable front duplex noise
disappears.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico