[CAUT] upright plucking

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Tue Jul 25 14:13:30 MDT 2006

Speaking of phing..pck..pluug, I have never seen any discussion on
this list about mating upright hammers, much less vocing them. I just
did one of the practice room uprights, and thought I would give it a
try. I shaped the hammers, and I thought they looked pretty good. But
just for the heck of it, I tried plucking strings. I gently pushed the
hammer up to the string, stepped on the damer pedal, and sure enough,
on about a dozen or so notes, I could hear one of the strings ringing.
In the upper treble, where there isn't enough room to pluck above the
hammer, I used a thin screw driver to gently rake accross the strings.
It didn't take too much sanding to straighten the striking surface
out, and I tried to get down under the hammer as muchas possible to
try to keep a round head.

Comments

Wim

Willem Blees, RPT