[CAUT] Agraff levels

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Jul 20 18:01:10 MDT 2006

Hi Lawrence, all,
    I am re-posting a picture of a home made string level I posted a year or
two ago. It solves the ³next to the strut² problem in most cases (sometimes
the strut is actually over a string or two of the unison, in which case you
are out of luck). I like this design better than Joe¹s (copied from
Fazioli¹s) anyway, because it puts the level where I can see it without
leaning, and I can grab it and move it more easily. I should say I copied my
design, more or less, from Terry Otake, one of the Shigeru MPAs.
    Two pieces of 1/4² or 3/8² brass stock for the bass, a couple lengths of
1/8² brass rod for uprights, a wood base on top for a level sawn from a
pocket clip level. Very easy to make, and it doesn¹t take much work to
calibrate it (adjusting the wood on the brass rods until you get the same
level reading in both directions on a level surface. Then CA to freeze in
place).
    I like to use a home made string hook: dowel with a piece of music wire,
music wire wrapped twice and german-knotted, kinked at the end. Works nicely
for getting into any tight spot (think St D between dampers and capo), and
for keeping hold of the string (I have trouble with the Mannino hook letting
go of the string sometimes). The kinked end is also used to pluck the
string. This produces a lower amplitude pluck, which I find gives a more
sensitive result. There is also added efficiency: same tool in same hand
both lifting strings and plucking them.
    I do lightly support my level with a finger or two while plucking, to
damp any wobbling.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico