[CAUT] Steinway rail re-doweling

Ward & Probst, Inc wardprobst at wardprobst.com
Wed Jul 12 10:26:14 MDT 2006

thanks again to everyone supplying helpful information.

Though the wisest advice seemed to favor replacing the rail, I was
only in
Banff for a short time, and the core stock was already there.

Actually the whole process went really well, and quite quickly, to
the point
I would still have to think twice about rail replacement as an option in
future.

Here's how it went:

1.) I compiled Susan Graham's article and Ed Foote's e-mail into a
checklist.

2.) Stuffed two cores and a bunch of 25w damppchasers into an ABS pipe
(oops, too many), checking temperature over several days.

3.) Used our old w/w bench with vice and dogs to make a holding
fixture, and
some drill rod stock to drive the old core out. I didn't pre-dry the
stack,
but used a counter-sink to remove extruded wood from the screwholes
to make
removal easier.

4.) Sized the new core (which was pretty close) with a scraper, then
sandpaper, coated it with teflon, then back in the hot-box.

5.) CA'd some emory cloth to some brass rod stock (7/16"? can't
remember),
chucked it in a cordless, and used it to de-burr the inside of the tube,
then held the stack on end and sprayed teflon inside til it dripped
out the
bottom.

6.) Found a nice short peice of knurled drill-rod under Ted's old metal
lathe for a driving cap. Ted used to make exquisite custom becket-
breakers,
pin-punches and the like.

7.) Set the grain "vertical" and drove the new core home, sawed the ends
flush, and went to my room for a sleep.

Even though I was cautious and stopped many times to re-read my
notes, the
entire process of removing the old core and driving in the new one
only took
about an hour and a half.

8.) The next morning, I had our work-study, Rebecca D'Angelo try her
hand at
boring a few screw-holes. She also installed the new rail cloth.

9.) That evening (after 18 holes) I reinstalled the parts, and am
initially
quite pleased with the fit.

I presume the new core will gather a bit of moisture, however Banff
tends to
be quite dry, even in summer. The core is a tight fit to the tube, and I
don't suppose that will change.

FYI, I will divide photos into two sets, just to be sure I don't
overload
someone's server.

best regards,
Mark Cramer
Brandon University
Brandon, MB

(Sessional Faculty Technician, Banff Centre for the Arts, Banff, AB)

Photos at:

http://tinyurl.com/m2fe9
http://tinyurl.com/nycj7
http://tinyurl.com/rxmhs