[CAUT] Leg support blocks- and movers

Horace Greeley hgreeley at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 6 18:30:09 MDT 2006

Hi, Ken,

I think Dennis is talking about the wood wedges.

The problem is that they are _supposed_ to be planed to fit, in
pairs, after the stationary wedge is installed.  That is, most of the
actually planing-to-fit occurs on the loose piece.

Movers are notorious for bunging these things up to the point of
being structurally dangerous.  The only thing that I have ever found
which slows the process down is to prominently label the loose wedge
with the same number that is stamped into the top of the leg.  Even then....

In terms of the cam locks...while I think that the wedges are
structurally stronger, the cam locks usually do not get detached from
the instrument and so, usually, are not so easily messed up.

Best.

Horace