[CAUT] Differences?

Keith Kopp keith_kopp@byu.edu
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:24:39 -0700

Don and Jeannie,

=20

It is my understanding that at a recent Randy Potter advance training
seminar that half of those attending were women.

=20

Keith Kopp, RPT

BYU

=20

________________________________

From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Don McKechnie
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 10:11 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: RE: [CAUT] Differences?

=20

Jeannie,

Thanks for statistics. I'm glad my perceptions are incorrect.

Don

Subject:=20

RE: [CAUT] Differences?

From:=20

"Jeannie Grassi" <jcgrassi@earthlink.net>
<mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net>=20

Date:=20

Sun, 22 Jan 2006 14:31:45 -0800

=20

To:=20

"'College and University Technicians'" <caut@ptg.org>
<mailto:caut@ptg.org>=20

Don,
I can assure you that there were not nearly as many women 30 years ago
as
there is today.  I think that those who started, were more attracted to
formal program like NBSS, because most of us found it hard to find
someone
to mentor with privately, or a shop situation that would give us the
time of
day.  So, the impression might have been a bit skewed.  I think a school
alternative may still be more attractive for several reasons for many
women
just starting out. =20
=20
The official PTG membership says that around 20% are women joining each
month.  However, there is a higher attrition rate for women, and fewer
make
it to RPT status.  Now, of course, there are many factors going in to
that.
I would guess that the female RPTs number closer to 12% of the
membership.
This is just my random sampling based on monthly membership
announcements.
=20
Recently, there has been a huge surge in new female members.  As
President
of the Seattle Chapter, I have to say that the past two years has shown
an
increase in women applicants.  We have also had more women drop out than
men.  We've also had a couple of babies from those new women members.
That
can put a kink in working on your tuning hammer technique!
=20
Jeannie Grassi, RPT
Assistant Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net