[CAUT] Differences?

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:58:38 -0800

Folks,

I have enjoyed this thread. Although when I think about it, I can't think of
a way that it would be useful in teaching the profession. Think about it.
You have this person who is attempting to learn. They bring their particular
skill set, strengths, mind set, weaknesses, goals, preconceptions, etc to
the task. To teach them effectively you try to assess these as you shape and
guide them. Even if there were definitive studies of gender differences,
which there are none that I am aware of, would these guide your teaching?
No, because the person in front of you is a particular individual, not a
gender type. I think there is more variation among individuals than there is
between genders. I think of our chapter. Otto Keyes is a giant of a guy -
what 6'5" Otto? I am 5'6". I stand up to tune even spinets, if I am tired or
in a hurry, because it is ergonomically more powerful, faster and less
tiring. There are as many examples of physical and mental differences as
there are technicians. There are gender differences, no doubt. But I just
don't see the relevance with regard to actually teaching the trade to a
person. If I see poor body mechanics - slumping, arm tweaked in an awkward
manner, leaning, tension in shoulders and all that, I am going to point it
out and show them a more relaxed way to hold the hammer. If someone is not
paying enough attention to detail while pinning conters, or rebushing keys,
or whatever, I will point that out too. Does gender enter in anywhere here?

As teachers we have to be aware of our own biases and habits. Dogmatism and
our own habits and preferences all get in the way of effective teaching. Jim
says "tedious shop work." Jim, do you somehow convey that this shop work is
"tedious" to the boy, but not to the girls? If you never thought to suggest
standing up to tune, might there be other subtle and unknown "suggestions"
that are being communicated? BTW, I don't mean to be picking on you on this
issue. But your words are right below, and are a convenient example. I hope
you don't take offense. I think we know each other well enough that you know
I have a lot of respect for you and what you are doing there at BYU.

It might be that tuning is, somehow, harder for women to do. I just don't
believe it. There are too many excellent women tuners, technicians, and
rebuilders for that to be the case. And I don't think, even were that true,
that it would have any bearing on teaching our profession to any individual,
with their peculiar (no, not that meaning of peculiar) set of traits.

BTW, this is not to say that there aren't obstacles in the way of a woman
wanting to make a career in this trade. Maybe more, or at least different
obstacles than faced by men.

Gotta go. Time for another manly tuning.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University
amccoy@mail.ewu.edu