[CAUT] Differences?

Richard West rwest1@unl.edu
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:34:29 -0600

Barb, Susan, Jeannie, and All

Thanks for your responses.  They have been informative in many ways.
Your information about the yellow pages, business card, p.o. box,  etc.,
were helpful and if there are any other concrete ideas I hope you'll
continue passing them along.  It's good to have information about things
that work.  Also, as you said, strength and safety issues are worthy of
repeated attention.

I'm sorry if things strayed into that uncomfortable area related to
"differences", etc., but that too spoke volumes mostly in what was left
unspoken or what was implied.   I believe it is good to discuss these
things even if they are pushing the envelope.  Our culture can't be
expected to change, if there's no dialogue, or educating.

I'm glad you kept the "Pianos are not Tables" stuff.  I have several
editions and the effort has paid off.  At least all of the piano faculty
are good about keeping their pianos relatively clutter free.

Richard West
University of Nebraska

Barbara Richmond wrote:

> [...]
> #3 I
> was a PTG member. There were a number of incidents when the OFs tried to
> discredit me, but I persevered.  The most interesting of those
> incidents was
> when I had just been hired at Illinois Wesleyan and the <then> Steinway
> dealer called IWU and said their new D's warranty was no good if I was
> servicing the piano.  After years of taking punches, that knocked the
> wind
> out of me--it had been nasty before, but this one took the cake!  (I had
> been hired after one of the OFs had been asked to leave).  The
> Director of
> the School of Music and the piano faculty were livid.  Yes, the dealer
> got
> in trouble over that one!
>
> I've had some scary moments when I was worried I wouldn't be able to
> avoid
> being sexually attacked, but that can happen to anyone in any
> business.  I
> don't put my home address on my business card either.   I only had a
> yellow
> page ad for a couple years, because that's where many problem calls came
> from---it might be different now because of caller ID.  I got started
> working for dealers and had a very good experience building my
> business that
> way.
>
> I don't want to paint a picture of doom and gloom.  This is a great
> profession, if a person has the passion and drive to go for it.  I'd
> say to
> not be afraid, but be smart.
>
> I'm short, too, 5' 2".  I've never had to use two hands on the tuning
> lever,
> though.
>
> I know that for some years when I first got started, there was an
> informal
> gathering of female techs at the PTG Convention.  Our numbers were
> very few
> then.  Unfortunately, they were mostly moaning sessions and I was more
> interested in learning technical stuff, so I think I only attended one or
> two.  Now it might be interesting to hear a "technical" on how we deal
> with
> strength or safety issues, etc.
>
> When I served as CERVP (1986-1988), and the convention was in Toronto,  I
> asked the director why there were no female instructors (Sally Jameson
> and
> Priscilla Rappaport approached me because they had been snubbed) and I
> was
> told we were in Canada and none of the Canadian techs would come to
> classes
> taught by women.  Since part of Canada was part of my region (at that
> time),
> I told him the only thing I had heard from the Canadians, is that they
> wanted to be treated equally as members.  Ah, the memories!  :-)
>
> Congratulations on your nearing retirement.  I still have "Pianos are not

>>> for
>>> them.  I was really good at fixing things and all my friends knew  it.