[CAUT] Differences?

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:25:41 -0600

Hi Jeannie- have you started your piano moving business yet????????????
les bartlett

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Jeannie Grassi
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2006 4:04 PM
To: 'College and University Technicians'
Subject: RE: [CAUT] Differences?

Hi Richard,
Sorry, but this is a long answer again.  I'm hearing the same sort of
concern from a few different people, so I hope this will shed some light.

You wrote:  "Does PTG do anything to help women get together and talk about
these things?  Maybe you "guys" just seek each other out and meet over lunch
to exchange ideas."

PTG does NOT have anything special for woman techs, nor should it, in my
opinion.  I think it has been enough to get together amongst ourselves and
compare notes, if need be.  But I must say that when I've had lunch with the
"girls" we didn't talk about things a whole lot differently than we do with
male techs.  Much like university techs compare notes,....or concert techs
bounce ideas off of each other....or store techs talk amongst
themselves....or rebuilders.....etc. etc.  The bottom line is that everyone
makes do with what they have, regardless of differences.  You just figure it
out and make it work if you want to be successful.

Maybe 30 years ago, when PTG was not as welcoming to women, it would have
been appropriate to have something like you suggest. (In the Journal other
members were referred to as "brothers"!)  However, if there were to be
something like that now, I don't know that I would be interested or many of
my women friends. Young women who are just starting out have many things to
be considering...I'm not sure being female will be, or should be their
biggest concern.

As well meaning as your and others' concerns have been, I think it would be
a mistake to address women separately.  Yes, we may not be physically as
strong, but neither are some of our "senior" techs any longer.  We've
already been singled out enough in one way or another in our lives, what
many of us want is to be included.  Can you imagine being hired by a major
corporation, or law firm, let's say, and there are special meetings just for
the woman and their concerns....or for the Hispanics, or any other special
group?  I think the intention may be a good one, but sexism is so much a
part of our culture, that most women, by the time they are out in the world,
are well aware of how to protect themselves from discriminating
situations.....especially if they are entering into a male-dominated field
like ours.  One of the best ways to break down the barriers is to not create
any additional ones.

And keep in mind...not everyone is cut out for all kinds of work.  If
something is just plain too hard to do, it may be that it's not for that
person.  There is nothing wrong with recognizing that.  It doesn't mean
defeat; it doesn't mean you haven't tried hard enough.  It may mean it's not
your cup of tea.

As for being safe out there in the world, that's another inherent skill we
learn growing up female in this society, based on where we choose to live.
If you come from a rural, small town atmosphere, you may not want to go to
the Big City to start your business.  If you have grown up in the inner city
of New York or Chicago...you already know what's out there and how to
protect yourself.  If that doesn't feel safe....go where you will be.

Feminism is in a new phase and the days of singling out women to "help them
along their way" looks and feels a bit patronizing these days.  Not all
women will agree with my point of view, so I don't presume to speak for all,
but I know many who will.

May I add: a huge advantage to being female in PTG is that at the
conventions, there is no line to use the ladies' facilities like there is
most everywhere else we go!!!  That's worth a lot, in my book.   :>)
jeannie