[CAUT] Reactions, was disability insurance

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:43:28 -0500

On Jan 20, 2006, at 12:26 PM, Barbara Richmond wrote:

> You guys are so funny.  It's true that during my career I have had
> some customers say they were glad to find a female piano tech,
> mostly in response to a couple techs in the area that over-stayed
> their welcome by talking too much or even made, uh, unwelcome
> advances.

Well, I've also heard tales that some of those advances are not
always so unwelcome, but that's another subject for another day.

>   I believe most referrals came to me because folks were pleased
> with my work.  But, just so you know, early in my career, I was
> often mistaken for the piano tuner's secretary and one time, when
> the customer realized that I (the female) was indeed the piano
> tuner, she said, "Well, I'd rather have a man!"
>
> ;-)
>
> Barbara Richmond, strange, but female

I've been doing this since I was 17.  You can imagine all the first
time responses I've gotten over the years from people at the door
looking past me for the gray-haired fellow (who I am now becoming)
they expect to be coming up behind me.  "You're the driver, right?"
"Where's the piano tuner?" "I was expecting someone older."  I even
thought I caught a hint once that the lady customer was, shall we
say, "disappointed" that I was filling in for her regular tuner.
(see above?)

But my all time favorite was a Doctor -- yes, an MD, a college
educated man -- who, when he found out what I did, said, "I thought
you had to be blind to do that."

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina