[CAUT] Hot Hide glue woes (??)

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:06:41 -0600

Why can't we get the Kawai
glue????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
les bartlett

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Don
Mannino
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 12:20 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: [CAUT] Hot Hide glue woes (??)

Hey Everyone,

Not to get a big debate going, but I feel that there are tonal benefits
to using the right glue for hammers.  This doesn't mean I would
dogmatically say that there is only one good glue for hammers, but I do
feel that some are better than others.

Generally, what Kawai has found is that a glue that sets with a very
hard and brittle glue collar adds to the rigidity of the hammer / shank
system at the most flexible point.  There are resin glues which have
additives which make the glue set harder, such as Andre Bolduc's glue.
Good quality hot hide glue is also very good in terms of hardness.  The
poor grades also dry hard, but they just don't bond as reliably.

If this Tite-Bond Molding glue dries nice and hard, then it might be a
very good glue - it all depends on their formula.  Let a small drop of
glue harden on something, and feel it after a few days.  If your
fingernail can dig into it, then I'd suggest using something harder.  If
it seems good and hard, though, maybe it's a good choice.

The Kawai production pianos use a semi-clear resin glue that dries quite
hard, but not as hard as hot hide.  The EX pianos use a special hot hide
glue that a small glue maker in Japan brews special for our R&D
department - I haven't been able to get any for myself.  Maybe I should
try to buy a few Kilos of it and sell it through Kawai's parts
department.  Knowing our laboratory, though, they'd charge crazy high
prices for it.

Don Mannino RPT