[CAUT] Water/Alcohol on Yamaha Hammers

Jeff Stickney jpstickney@montanadsl.net
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:04:28 -0700

Mike,

Your comments describe exactly where I'm at right now.  Everyone is in
damage control mode which, to me, is very frustrating.  I'm trying to
keep my cool and not let things get out of control.  Better
communication and clarification of my relationship to the Music
Department may be positive results of this situation.  However, the
alcohol/water solution was applied and the hammers literally exploded.
Where I had deep needled on the shoulders, the hammers literally split
open and are obviously ruined.  The other tech's initial reaction was to
blame the needling - his application merely relaxed the felt and exposed
the already ruined hammers.  I have confidence that most of the players
understand that that is not true.  Had the solution not been applied,
the hammers could have lived a long and happy life (or at least longer
than this disaster).

There is already talk of not wanting to use the Yamaha parts - they only
come pre-hung and cost somewhere around $1,500.00.  Also, this is a
disklavier, and it's not clear if they have shanks for the disklavier
(with the tab/flag thingy - nice technical term, no?), or if the
tabs/flags would have to be installed.  Is it reasonable to consider
putting another type hammer on the old shanks/flanges (the piano is from
1994, but as I said has not gotten heavy use), or should I be insisting
on the Yamaha parts?  It would certainly be nice to put on all new parts
(pre-hung no less).  If an alternative is considered, what would you-all
recommend?  Ronsen, Renner?  The saga continues.  Sorry if the list is
tiring of this.

Thanks,
Jeff Stickney