[CAUT] Hot Hide glue woes (??)

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 14:33:59 -0500

On Jan 9, 2006, at 1:28 PM, Fred Sturm wrote:

> The clear yellow was extraordinarily pure. I showed some to a
> violin maker I know, and he was amazed and had to get some right
> away (I referred him to Pianotek). More recently he has been
> complaining that it isn't as good now.

I was going to suggest trying some from a luthier supply, like http://
www.internationalviolin.com or http://www.howardcore.com or http://
www.internationalluthiers.com  Stewart McDonald may also carry it
(http://www.stewmac.com)

Even the "Liquid Hide Glue" has more of a brown honey color to it.  I
don't use a lot of hide glue, but mine has always had a browner
tint.  Humidity is pretty high here, so there's probably the
explanation.  There's some very old glue here that's been in the shop
since I was probably in the 2nd grade.  It has a pretty strong odor
and is darker brown, but holds very well.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina