[CAUT] Hot Hide glue woes (??)

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 11:28:20 -0700

Hi Michelle,
     Pianotek's hide glue was beautifully clear and yellow about ten
years ago. More recently it has been a bit more on the brown side.
Not as murky as what I used to get from APSCO, but in that direction.
I don't think it is a real problem in terms of function - maybe a wee
bit weaker, but not significantly. The clear yellow was
extraordinarily pure. I showed some to a violin maker I know, and he
was amazed and had to get some right away (I referred him to
Pianotek). More recently he has been complaining that it isn't as
good now.
     Of course, if you have high humidity, you can get various
microorganisms infecting it, even during storage when dry. That can
cause cloudiness and stink (and how!) if it gets acute. If you don't
have bad smell, it's more likely impurities in the glue.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm@unm.edu