[CAUT] The Ideal Tool Case?

Ronald E Engle englepiano@juno.com
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 19:12:51 -0500

My odyssey for the perfect case continues also.  I liked the Genck case
which I used for 10 or so years.  After that wore out I bought one of the
"close out" Genck's.  I could not use it because it was clumsy and you
have to fill it to make it work and it became to heavy for me.

I agree with Wim's philosophy and I would add an element of my own.
Simplify, Simplify, Simplify.  Why carry around tools you seldom use?
However I have not reached the tuning hammer and mutes only, approach
yet. Presently I am using a laptop computer carrying case I had laying
around which happens to be identical to ones for sale at Office Max or
any office supply store.  The pouches, slots, flapped side pocket,
movable divider all just happen to work out perfectly for me.  The
Modification I did make is to borrow a pallet from the new Genck which
has velcro hooks on the bottom edge.  It lays right in the case where the
computer use to and is permanently positioned so the top edge of the
pallet lays on the top edge of the case, so it is slanted for easy
removal of tools, it is hinged at the bottom because of the velco and
items can be kept underneath. The movable divider is beside the pallet
giving space for a few small tools that are placed in there loose.  At
the space at the bottom of the pallet I place my tuning hammer and a few
necessities that are used at every tuning.  This kit is light, everything
is easily accessible, the large flapped side space (usually empty) is
used for temporary tools or supplies I know I might need for the job,
sometimes umbrella, hat, ETD if you use one. It is soft so I don't worry
about laying it on furniture and worse yet banging it against furniture (
I am clumsy).  It has a removable shoulder strap which can be doubled to
hold the case lid in upright position.

Everyone has to work out what's best for them.  I am very happy with this
arrangement.

Ron Engle