[CAUT] Alcohol/water on Yamaha hammers--Cy

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:48:18 -0800

At 08:22 PM 1/7/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Great tip about filing after treatment, Susan; thanks.  I did have to take
>off a lot of felt when I filed first.  The fibers packing before breaking
>makes sense.  At a recent Wally Brooks seminar, he told us that Abel uses
>low heat when pressing hammers only in the high treble, because otherwise
>the severe angle over the molding breaks the fibers in that section.
>
>--Cy--

Interesting.

The more felt you take off, the less is left -- the lighter the hammer is
-- (sometimes not all that bad a thing on these Asian grands) -- the more
urgent it is to regulate the rep springs, especially with the centers being
loose as loose. When it comes to rejuvenation, just pinning the hammers
firmer (even, if in a time crunch, in just the most-played parts of the
keyboard) can have a dramatic effect, and it's one that pianists actually
seem to notice. "It's _controllable_, oh so much less tiring ..." from one,
and a visitor, trying our performance D after the hammers and some of the
wippens got repinned, said, "Oh, I didn't know it that new a piano ..."

ssnn