[CAUT] Alcohol/water on Yamaha hammers

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 18:34:00 EST

In a message dated 1/6/2006 10:29:45 PM Central Standard Time,
jpstickney@montanadsl.net writes:

Therefore, the Yamaha was not used much and with a
minimal budget I  was not able to maintain it to its optimum state.
Actually, with our  budget which mainly supports an inadequate number of
tunings per year,  even the Steinway doesn't get the attention it deserves.

So it's a  double-edged sword.  Of course the piano needs voicing and
regulation, and the adjunct is offering to pay for it (another fly in
the ointment), but wants to use his tech.  I am confident that I  could
produce the end result he is looking for, but I may not get that
opportunity.

Jeff

Let me just a few more comments, especially as they relate to the above. It
might be a good idea if you approach the adjunct professor and thank him for
paying the other tech to do what you have not been able to do, due to  budget
and time restraints. At the same time, however, make sure that not  only the
head of the department and the head of the piano area know that Yamaha  does
not approve of the alcohol and water treatment, but that the adjunct  professor
also knows this as well. Tell him, however, that you are  eager to see what
kind of results the other tech can get from using this  procedure. That way, in
case the other tech does do a good job, you will  have already thanked him for
doing the work. But at the same time, you will have  warned all parties of
the possible consequences. Make sure, also, that you do  not do anything to that
piano for a year, and let's see what happens.

Good luck

Wim