[CAUT] Tenor thonk

Alan McCoy amccoy at mail.ewu.edu
Tue Aug 29 09:59:07 MDT 2006

Thanks Ron, Ron and Ed,

These are some ideas I will pursue. Yesterday I clipped on a couple vise
grips to the lower tenor bridge pins.  It made a small but noticeable change
in the right direction. Ron O. is right that the high bass bridge is part of
the problem - too boomy. Ron N gives me the idea to take the scale data and
see if adding some wrapped strings in the low tenor might be helpful. In
listening to the area it's the lowest 3-5 notes of the tenor that are most
thonky. I'll put the info into Tremaine's program and see if that sheds some
light on the subject. Adding the vise grips removes some of the thonk but
doesn't add any "boom" to match the bass. I'll try a dowel to see if that
tones down the bass a bit.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT