[CAUT] FW: Univ. of Tenn. Job Opening for Piano Technician

Horace Greeley hgreeley at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 16 08:34:59 MDT 2006

Hi, Wim,

At 06:36 AM 8/16/2006, you wrote:

>Unfortunately, once UT hires someone at $16 ph, giving that person
>raises comensurate with his or her growth will be not happen. After 5
>years, I finally got a "real" raise this year, but not until I made a
>very strong plea.

Yup.

Most of the "strong plea"s I have made over the years have happened
along the lines of:  "Well...gee, too bad this doesn't seem to be
working...guess it's time for me to move on."  That is a real roll of
the dice.  Sometimes you win, sometimes not.  You have to be prepared
to move on.

Also, I think it is important to know for whom you are working.  It
really is unreasonable to expect that institutions (however
well-meaning they might be) will pay anywhere close to "market" rate
in any given market.  That's a pretty broad statement; and much will
depend on in which part of the country you are working.  In the SF
Bay Area, the official poverty level for a family of four is ~ $52K
per year.  Most of the schools in the area use contract tuners at
varying rates.  The one exception of which I know is SF State, which
historically has split the bulk of the work between two positions.

The trade-off is, of course, primarily whatever benefit packages are
available.  None of these are as good as they once were; but they are
often better than nothing.  I have only late in life learned to pay
myself first, so, for me, whatever benefits there might be are more
important than they might be to someone who has the business side of
the act better together.  I know technicians who have come into the
profession having either retired from something else and/or having
made reasonably good investments, can afford to make the change.

Underlying all of this, though, is a point which I think Ed Foote has
noted to the effect that, if you really have your technical chops
together and functioning, your work and reputation will speak for
themselves, and you will, over time, have plenty to do...with or
without an institution behind you.

Best.

Horace